January 15, 2014

mini CHA recap

Saturday I was lucky enough to take in a day at CHA. I spent the day with fellow Simple Stories design team member Rebecca Keppel, and we had a lot of fun looking at all the new products, giggling through a bout of low-blood sugar (we waited a little too long to have lunch), and meeting friends both new and old along the way.

The show can be quite overwhelming; there is just so much ground to cover and so much to see. It can be hard to take it all in. Personally, with all that visual stimulation one day is sort of just enough for me! I'm not going to do a huge review of trends or all the new products since there are lots of those types of posts out there if that is what you are looking for. Vivian Masket has done a great Armchair Attendee series and Aly Dosdall has a great round-up of the show on her blog as well.

As I have done in past years though, I have started a Pinterest board to keep track of my favorite products. The board is filled with some, but not all, of the things that have caught my eye. And today I'm going to give you my favorite picks of the show so I'll warn you now, this post is long!

But first a bit of a tangent...

Over the last year to year-and-a-half I've been feeling like I have way too much stuff. We've made a concerted effort to get rid of the things in our home that we are not using, and that has been extended to my scrapbooking supplies as well. So over the past 8-12 months I have been trying to considerably reduce my stash. I sort of don't even like that word... What that basically means in this situation is, I'm not going to undo all my hard work by piling on a ton of new stuff every release. I've got to be selective! I might really love a product, but if I don't honestly see myself using it, I won't buy it.

I did want to give you a list of my Top 5 picks, and I'm just going to be honest here, I get quite a lot of new shiny product through my work with Simple Stories. Their style and my style happen to mesh very well, so that works out well for me! So aside from one item in the list below I'm going to try to give you my picks that don't include the new Simple Stories' releases.

Alright, let's do this! In no particular order:

1. Simple Stories: DIY - Design it Yourself

_diy ad_do contact info  

This collection includes basic 3x4 & 4x6 cards, envelopes, tags and pocket foundations, kraft and office layers, and a wide assortment of stickers, stamps and embellishments so you can create your own Life Documented cards. What is so great about this line is that it is so basic it really can be used for anything, scrapbooking, cardmaking or even general crafting. I love the kraft and office line touches and I am looking forward to playing with it all in the upcoming months!

2. Crate Paper's Boys Rule:

Paper_pads2

It has been some time since Crate Paper released a boy themed collection. Their last one, Toy Box, was an all-time favorite for me and I used it to pieces. There are lots of fun elements in this collection like patterned vellum, vellum and chipboard shapes, paper clips and on and on. This is probably one of the few collections that I will buy in its entirety.

3. Jillibean Soup Beanboard Alphas:

Beanboard Alphas Teal

I tend to be a flat scrapper, but I do like a bit of dimension on my pages and that usually comes in the form of chipboard titles. I got to see these at the show and can report that they are not too thick and lend just the right amount of oomph to a page. They also come in all the classic Jillibean colors. I'll definitely be picking up a few packs of these... who am I kidding? I'll probably get them all, except the pink. =)

4. My Mind's Eye Wood and Shaped Dots




Enamel Dots continue to be a huge trend and this show there were lots of companies introducing shaped enamel dots. In addition, the set above caught my eye as they are made of wood! Kind of a mix of trends since woodgrain and wood veneer are still quite popular. They were really pretty in person and didn't look too thick or bulky. My Mind's Eye also released a set of glitter enamel dots that looked very pretty too; you can see those by clicking on the link above.

5. Bella Blvd Lucky Starz Collection:

745 COLLECTION KIT LUCKY STARZ

This is a fun twist on the basics that a lot of companies have been releasing over the years done this time around with tone-on-tone stars. The b-sides of these papers have lots of fun patterns too including this one with the days of the week in a very light grey:

731b

Little boys and stars just go so very well together and I will definitely be picking up more than a few of these. I actually loved a lot from Bella Blvd this release. Their new Family Forever collection has lots of the colors that I love to use, red, navy, yellow with a touch of teal. And they released a new boy themed collection called Max. I'll probably pick up a few items from that collection too.

Runners-Up:

Studio Calico's Essentials Collection


Studio Calico has released a collection of basics that included chipboard shapes, wood veneer, enamel dots, sequins, cork shapes, stickers and even cardstock. While I don't need every item in every color from this collection there are several items that I will most likely purchase. Those stars pictured above being high on the list! The woodgrain enamel dots and the colored chipboard cameras follow pretty close behind. =)

Doodlebugs' new release of sequins, enamel shapes, and vellum. These come in all the popular Doodlebug colors and will make great staples.

We R Memory Keepers Sheer Metallic - This is a collection of patterned vellum, washi tapes, Albums Made Easy cards (made of vellum - so pretty!) and wooden tags made in gold, silver and copper finishes. The patterned vellum is what caught my eye at the show and will be a fun addition to pages and cards.


So there it is! It looks like a lot, and it is. There is even more on my Pinterest board that I didn't mention here so if you have similar tastes to me, but haven't been able to keep up with all the releases it might be worth a peek.

What about you? Anything in particular that has caught your eye? What new items have you itching to get into your craft space? As always, I'd love to hear from you!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. That Crate Paper boy paper is fantastic! I take issue that it's being marketed for boys and not directly to me. Ha.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, and for taking the time to comment. I love comments and I love hearing from you!

If you'd like, you can also email me at donnajannuzzi {at} gmail {dot} com

Have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...