April 28, 2012

twenty eleven documented... with a sketch!

It's been two weeks now since my first post at the Simple Stories blog.  If you are in search of scrapbooking inspiration I highly recommend stopping by the blog.  There are posts up daily (except Sunday), and the team has really been working hard making some really fun, inspiring pages and projects to share with everyone out there.

Today I want to share with you the layout that I made for my blog post.  It is a simple two page layout that documents our family's year.



This page was inspired by the Border & Title Elements paper from the Documented Collection:
I'll admit that when I first saw this collection I wasn't quite sure how I would use it.  One of the biggest things that inspires me when I scrapbook is color.  I do try to use color to capture the emotions of my pages, and I suppose that to a degree I also like for the colors of my pages to coordinate with the colors of my photos.  I realized though, that the neutral colors of this collection would be the perfect backdrop for a multi-picture layout.

The designs in this collection are perfection too.  Some of my favorites, damask, ledger, and polka dot prints.  They give just enough pattern to the layout with distracting from the photographs.  And then, when I looked closer at the collection and saw the black strip with words I knew I wanted to make something with it right away.  Even though it was already April, I still hadn't made a year in review page for two-thousand and eleven.  This is something that I have done every year since I started scrapbooking, and so that's what I set out to do.  Here is the right-hand side:


I started by going through last year's photographs and choosing my favorites.  I typically try to limit myself from to somewhere between 8 and 12.  When making a page that has a lot of photos I like to keep the design fairly simple.  The left-hand side:


You'll notice that I didn't include too many embellishments on my page, just a scattering of butterflies in a few places.


I happen to love butterflies.  Being a mom to three boys, you know that I don't use them too much in my scrapbooking, but I take the opportunity to use them when it presents itself.  So Mother's Day, Easter, year in review pages, you get the idea! =)


The title was cut using my Silhouette, and I adhered the word "eleven" using foam adhesive to add dimension to the design.

Before I go, here is the sketch that I used for this layout:


I  drew in a space for the word strip and then built the sketch from there.  Like all sketches this one can be used in so many ways.  For example, I have plans to use the right-hand side of the sketch alone to make another page soon.  Because happily, as I mentioned the other day, I finally had a return of inspiration and got some scrapbooking done this week.  I'll have more pages to share with you soon. =)

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, and for taking the time to comment. I love comments and I love hearing from you!

If you'd like, you can also email me at donnajannuzzi {at} gmail {dot} com

Have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...